Wednesday, April 4, 2012

junk withdrawal

there hasn't been any good junk scores lately and that's making me a crabby girl. i haven't found anything decent at a thrift store in soooo long. it makes me cringe to think of how much stuff i used to find back in the 90s. i never left without a huge bag full of stuff. now i'm lucky to find one thing. estate sales have been few and far between lately, or else i just haven't been able to get to them. i'm kicking myself for not blowing off work last week when one promised an old gravestone for sale. no, really! i'm a dummy.

here is some stuff from the last few times we went out, which by now was weeks ago. i'm starting to get that itch that only another junk junky can understand. MUST. ACQUIRE. MORE. STUFF. ugh, it's been out of control lately.

the most recent thing i've found was this vintage shelf/display case. at the moment its sitting in the record room displaying some of my 45 boxes, although i'm not sure if that is where i want to keep it or not. it works for now, because my 45 tote collection has gotten so big that they're all over the record room! on shelves, on the floor, you name it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

i spotted this vintage kitchen cart at one estate sale under piles and piles of stuff. i've been wanting one of these for a long time! i was afraid they wouldn't let me buy it even though it had a price tag, because so much stuff would have to be moved in order to get it out of the room. in the end, the sale workers helped me get it out of the tiny, cramped room and i managed to shove it in our small car. it's in nice shape with only some rust on one shelf, and it still has the original sticker on it. $10 and i can finally cross a longtime want off my list. this isn't the most ideal spot to put it in our kitchen, but the kitchen is pretty small and this was really the only option. oh well, it works for now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

josh and i also finally scored some vintage chairs that better match the red, white and chrome table that belonged to my grandma. there were 3 chairs but one was all torn up, so for now we still only have two matching seats.

Photobucket

Photobucket

josh found this cool plastic globe light fixture that looks really neat on the high ceiling going upstairs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

i also got some more vintage christmas decorations, including a ceramic light-up tree like my grandma used to make in her ceramics class and a silly-looking tabletop tinsel one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

in other house-related news, while i was moving all the hillbilly shelf stuff to the basement bathroom i was inspired to move some of my food with faces/kitschy food-related items into the kitchen where i've been meaning to find them a home. here are some shadow boxes showcasing my growing collection of funny face cups, twinkie the kid, the choo choo cherry bobblehead, and these funny cookie mascot dolls with cookies for hats.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

there's more to add, but the kitchen needs a few more shelves hung first. eartha kitsch, i'm fairly certain you can appreciate this collection.

found anything good lately?

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I sure do! I was just oohing and ahhing at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the 45 boxes display! They look so cute and colorful all together like that. Also, I hear you about not being able to find anything lately-- estate sale droughts make me have the need-to-buy-something-stat fever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love the 45 box collection! it is so great! and i love that aluminum tree SO MUCH! how freaking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally drooling over your finds! That light fixture is awesome and I've been wanting one of those vintage carts myself - $10, what a score!! I understand your junk withdrawal...I've been too busy to make my usual thrift rounds and am not getting my junk score high. This makes me a sad girl...I'm a junk addict *sigh*, better than being addicted to heroine, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete